Iran At a Glance
- Official Name: Islamic Republic of Iran
- Capital: Tehran
- Government Type: Theocratic republic
- Head of State: Supreme Leader Sayyid Ali Hosseini-KHAMENEI (since 1989)
- Head of Government: President Hassan Fereidun ROUHANI (since 2013)
- Land Mass: 1,531,595 km² (591,352 mi²)
- Sea and Water: 116,600 km² (45,020 mi²)
- Currency: Iranian Rial (IRR)
- Major cities: Tehran, Mashhad, Esfahan, Karaj, Shiraz, Tabriz
- Language: Persian (official), Azeri Turkic and Turkic dialects, Kurdish, Gilaki and Mazandarani, Luri, Balochi, Arabic, other languages
- Time zone: 3.5 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
- Telephone Code: +98
- Neighboring Countries are Turkey and Iraq at West; Armenia, Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan at North; Afghanistan and Pakistan at East.
- Access to the Caspian Sea, Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman
- Iran’s population in 2017 is 82 million with median age of 30.3
- Almost 30 million labor force
- 18th largest economy in the world in terms of GDP PPP (2016)
- 2nd largest economy in the Middle East and North Africa in terms of GDP PPP (2016)
- GDP in current prices: USD 404.4 billion (2016)
- GDP per capita in current prices: USD 5,027* (2016)
- GDP growth in 2016 was 12.5%
- Total volume of exports was USD 84.0 billion in 2016.
- Total volume of imports was USD 63.1 billion in 2016.
- Main product groups in exports are petroleum, chemical and petrochemical products, fruits and nuts, carpets, cement, ore.
- Main product groups in imports are industrial supplies, capital goods, foodstuffs and other consumer goods, technical services.
FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT
- Total FDI inflow: USD 3.4 billion in 2016**
- Total FDI stock: USD 48.5 billion in 2016**
GLOBAL TRADE AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Member of G 15, G 77, FAO, ECO, OPEC, IBRD, WTO (Observer), Shanghai Cooperation Organization (observer)
Source: CIA World Factbook, 2017
*Source: International Monetary Fund, World Economic Outlook Database, October 2017
**Source: United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, 2017